Karl A L Smith Founder
Karl A L Smith Founder and co host of the Agile World English Language Show. He is fairly eclectic in his engagement with work and the wide skills he has developed over the years. His educational background includes a Social Sciences including Psychology and Social Anthropology, Industrial and Craft Design, Education and Enterprise Computer Science. He has been recognised for his eminence in Human Centered Design and Business Leadership by the British Computer Society with a Fellowship (FBCS). Karl is dedicated to finding solutions to everyday human problems and would not describe himself as a technologist. He has invented several research methodologies now in common use including Ethnographics as a short form version of Ethnography but for contextual usability. He has also invented Artificial Intelligence and Twin Blockchain technologies for the UbiNET Platform a ubiquitous platform and system to deliver Smart Living, for humanity Karl is a consultant working on and off though Agile World Inc. since 1989 that is focused on augmentation of existing companies or helping startups mature and is one of the four founders of Wipro Digital.
Karl is a technology key opinion leader (KOL) with a focus on ecosystems in infrastructures and has been involved in the 5G Forum since 2016. His blog has been going since 2001 and averages 4,400,000 to 4,800,000 views a year, he has over 22,000 followers on LinkedIn, 40,000 on Twitter. Karl was a volunteer in support of the recent Agile20Reflect Festival taking overarching responsibility for technology as CTO to upskill other volunteers and do the lift and shift from the old to the new web presence. Karl is a qualified High School Teacher and utilises key learning techniques in his corporate work. He also has over twenty years experience in Youth Work, Counselling and has been involved in delivering Aid.
Education is very close to my heart, through education and training people begin to envision themselves to be more than anyone thought they could be including themselves.
Karl has published several books including, Designing for Human Experience, a short guide to Agile Transformation and been one of ten Authors on Agile an Unexpected Journey. He is currently working on several other books including a short guide to Customer Experience, a short guide to Human Stagnation 1920 to 2020 100 years of stasis and a short guide to Agile World the untold story He has always been fascinated by how technology can augment the lives of humans;
My desire was not to build things that humans already do but to find out how technology could evolve our human experience.
HCI Webinar: HCM Software and “Agile” versus “Ways of Working”, with Karl Smith Apr 16, 2021. Has your organization embraced agile? How does that connect with your Human Capital Management systems and software? Check out this 30-minute conversation with Karl Smith about the current crop of HCM software and whether they enable or disable new ways of working and agile. On YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEarGmgn23o on Podcast https://www.innovativehumancapital.com/podcast/episode/1e5cb520/s16e20-hcm-software-and-agile-versus-ways-of-working-with-karl-smith
Imagine If The Way We Now Live Became Redundant Aug 26, 2020
- Trajectory of the IoT June 5, 2019
- Enterprise Agility the Customer Revolution, AgileFest, 12 Feb 2019
- DIGIT Leader 2018, Scotland’s Annual IT & Digital Summit, 21 June 2018 Our Dynamic Earth in Edinburgh The role of DevOps in business transformation – Why DevOps: core principles and where they can help – Next generation of DevOps; customer, business, finance, change, IT – Vertical slicing; an enterprise enabler – Transformation; hearts and minds with skills and delivery
- The role of DevOps in business transformation
- Why DevOps: core principles and where they can help
- Next generation of DevOps; customer, business, finance, change, IT
- Vertical slicing; an enterprise enabler
- Transformation; hearts and minds with skills and delivery
- Blockchain Friend or Foe October 2018 – MIPIM . Is Blockchain the new Doomsday Book, will it make every property unique and will that fundamentally change the property business? Will Blockchain aid the secondary data economy around property or create brand new new opportunities?
- The Treachery of News, 23rd Nov 2017 at The House of Lords in London On a panel as a guest of Lord Laird of Artigarvan
- Digital Transformation 2017, 23rd Feb at Our Dynamic Earth in Edinburgh Digital Transformation is about People
- IoT in Retail 28 Oct 2016 Takeaways from IoT in Retail Pioneers & Early Adopters – Panel Session
- UCD2016 Conference, Being Human 15 Oct 2016 IoT Design Principals – Panel Session
- Cognition Clash in The Internet of Things SXSW Interactive 2016, Sunday, March 13, 12:30PM – 1:30PM, JW Marriott, Salon FGH, 110 E 2nd St.The IoT – Internet of Things (Ubiquity) is the next great opportunity for commerce to engage with business enterprises and customers. However there is no unified approach to the mental load between physical interaction, mental interaction and digital interaction. This cognitive landscape is inhabited by associated experiences that gel human behaviour and machine interfaces through, touch, mouse and keyboard. The usage of sight, voice and thought create new complexities and risks which have until recently been the subject of defence technologies, where clear outcomes and prescribed mental models exist. The diversification of these touch points and multi-point human logic models clash and derail human thinking patterns.
- UCD15 Conference in London Our CEO Karl Smith talks about the conference he is involved with in London in the United Kingdom, he is also a founder and director of The Human Centered Design Society an institution created to promote Human Centered Design (HCD) also know as User Centered Design (UCD). Karl Smith talks about User Centered Designs adoption by business.
- St Andrews University Enabling Client Communications There is a huge and complex social psychology to managing client engagements effectively. Merely presenting actionable solutions that have valid data to back them up is not enough for clients. They become lost with the simplest of justifications and proof often focusing factors of little importance to the end users. In this talk I will offer some meeting navigation concepts that will enable people to facilitate client meetings, establish and reach defined outcomes and establish clear dialog and interaction methods.
- UCD2015 Conference Humanity in Digital Landscapes: Mind, Cognition & Psychology Committee Member October 23rd to 24th of October 2015 UCD2015 Program Workshop on Cognition Clash in The Internet of Things – Designing for Chaos and Crash
- UCD2014 ConferenceCommittee Chairman October 24th to 25th of October 2014 UCD2014 Program Speaking on Exploring the challenges and opportunities of globalisation and commoditisation in Enterprise User Experience EUX
- UCD2013 ConferenceProgram ChairWebsite Developer London 8th to 9th of November 2013
- Technology: Why there’s no longer an off switch April 11th 2013 http://lanyrd.com/2013/harvey-nash-technology-survey/ Why User Experience on Vimeo
- NextGen SCADA Europe 21st of March 2013 http://www.nextgenscada-europe.com/ HMI & Mobile Workforce: Optimising the human machine interface for a range of devices as data volumes increase and operations staff become increasingly mobile. Accenture Connected World – NextGen SCADA Smart Grid on Vimeo
- UCD2012 Conference Technical Chair Saturday 10th November 2012 User centred design within investment banking and wealth management: The world of finance and wealth provides unique problems for the UCD practitioner, this short session will describe some of them, how to circumvent them and how UCD can make a critical difference to the projects success.